Ph.D. in Rhetorics, Communication, and Information Design, August 2015
Dissertation: Minecrafted Rhetoric: Composition, Space and Pedagogy
Chair: Dr. Cynthia Haynes
Readers: Dr. Jan Holmevik, Dr. Stephanie L. Barczewski, Dr. Constancio Nakuma
M.A. in English, May 2007
Specialization: Rhetoric and Composition
Advisor: Dr. Kelli Prejean
B.A. in English Humanities, June 2004
Shawnee State University
Advisor: Dr. Darren Harris-Fain
• Spanish: proficient in reading, writing as well as speaking.
• Portuguese: proficient in reading as well as speaking.
• Interactive Video Productions
• Digital Rhetoric
• Broadcas/Digital Journalism
• Visual/Technical Communication
• Web Design
• Social Media Analysis
• Mass Communication Theory and Research
• Composition and Rhetoric
• Contemporary Rhetoric
Assistant Professor of Communication and Digital Media, 2017 – Present
Department of Language, Literature, and Communication, Elizabeth City State University
Courses Taught: JOUR 451 – Broadcast Journalism | MCOM 359 – Interactive Video | MCOM 356 – Advanced Television Production | MCOM 347 – Mass Communication Theory | COM 201 – Interculture Communication | ENGL 316 - Intro to Rhetoric and Composition
Assistant Professor of Communication and English for New Media, 2015 – 2017
Department of English for New Media, Dakota State University
Courses Taught: ENGL 480 – Contemporary Rhetoric | MCOM 389 – Portfolio and Professional Development | MCOM 353 – Digital Media Communications | MCOM 351 – Web Design | ENGL 201 – Composition II
English/Communication Instructor, 2014 – 2014
College of Arts and Technology, ECPI University
Courses Taught: COM 105 – Cultural Diversity and Communication
Graduate Teacher of Record, 2009 – 2013
College of Arts, Architecture, and Humanities, Clemson University
Course taught: ENGL 1030 – Accelerated Composition
English Adjunct, 2013 – 2013
Department of English, Anderson University
Course taught: ENGL 1011 – Rhetoric and Composition, BUS 1301 - Business Communication
English Lecturer 2007 – 2009
Department of English, Marshall University
Courses taught: ENG 101 – Introduction to Academic Writing
Information Design Specialist, 2013 – 2015
The Graduate School, Clemson University
As a media specialist working with the Banner Implementation Team (iRoar), I designed marketing commercials and training videos for faculty, staff, and students as well as produce and edit public information regarding Clemson’s Graduate School programs and events. I also assessed and conducted usability tests for Clemson University’s iRoar and Graduate School websites.
Honors and Awards
• $1,500.00 Grant, Elizabeth City State University.
• Innovative Teaching, Clemson University, 2010 – 2013.
• Influential Leader, Clemson University, 2012 & 2013.
• Graduate Student Assistantship, Clemson University, 2009 - 2013
• Teaching Award, Marshall University, 2007.
• Video Production (Adobe Premiere, Camtasia Studio)
• Animation (GoAnimate, Adobe After Effects)
• Audio Editing (Audacity, Adobe Audition)
• Graphic Design (Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop)
• Web Design (Adobe Dreamweaver, Microsoft Visual Studio)
“Drone Writing: Calligraphic Performance as Multimodal Communication.” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Pittsburgh, PA. March 2019.
“One to One Scaling: Languaging Play, Rhetoric, and Communication in a Game Space.”
Conference on College Composition and Communication. Kansas City, MO. March 2018.
Keynote Speech. Kappa Sigma Lotta The Dakota State University Chapter of The National Society of Leadership and Success. Madison, SD. March 2017.
“Minecrafted Composition: Cultivating Writing in a Digital World.” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Portland, OR. March 2017.
“Minecrafted Composition: Teaching Writing and the Rhetoric of Space through Gaming Pedagogy.” American Culture Association. New Orleans, LA. April 2015.
“Spatial Composition: Towards a Rhetoric of Interactive Writing for the Composition Class.” American Culture Association. Chicago, IL. October 2014.
“Minecrafted Meaning: The Rhetoric of Poetry in Video Game Environments.” American Culture Association, Washington, D.C. March 2013.
“Speaking in Poetic Tongues: Why Poetry Enhances Communication.” Carolina Communication Association. Aiken, SC. October 2012.
“Devising an Image: Burke’s Identification as Pedagogy.” Kenneth Burke Society, Clemson, SC. May 2011.
“Amazon and Target Churches: An Exploration of Cyber-Evangelism.” Eastern Communication Association, Washington D.C. April 2011.
Iriarte, Walter. “Minecrafted Composition: What Minecraft can Teach us about Ethos and Writing.” Playing with the Rules. FORTHCOMING 2020.
Iriarte, Walter. “Interview: Dr. Jim Goar.” Dec. 2019. Promo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9D2R4c0nFg
Iriarte, Walter. “WW II Veterans of North Carolina.” FORTHCOMING 2020.
Tom Joyner Foundation School of the Month - Feb. 2018. Advertisement. 9 Feb. 2018., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sT44wHdBO8&t=116s. Accessed 21 Feb. 2018.
“Walter Iriarte.” Expose Art Magazine., June 2016 Ed. Expose Art Press. Montgomery, AL. June 2016. Pg. 27. ISSN 2375-9275
• Chair, Media Arts Showcase, Elizabeth City State University (ECSU). November 2017.
• Faculty Senator, Elizabeth City State University. August 2017 – Present.
• Master Advisor, Communication Studies, ECSU. November 2017 – Present.
• Curriculum Committee. ECSU. September 2017 – Present.
• Supervisor, ECSU Soccer Club, ECSU. February 2018 – Present.
• Recruiter. ECSU Open House. February 2018 - Present.
• Search Committee Member, Elizabeth City State University. January 2018.
• Writing Intensive Committee Member, Dakota State University, August 2015 – May 2017.
• Member, Digital Humanities Initiative, Dakota State University, August 2015 – May 2017.
• Facilitator, International Student Club, Dakota State University. August 2015 – Present.
• Leader, Clemson Cultural Partner Program, Clemson University. August 2011– June 2015.
• Volunteer, Continuing Education, Elizabeth City State University. November 2017.
• Spanish Translator, Madison District Schools, Madison, SD, August 2015 – May 2017.